#PremierLeagueStories @NUFC – #FedericoFernandez and barbeque bonding + #DannyRose disappointment + @WorFlags group continue boycot against #MikeAshley ( and other Newcastle stories )
Newcastle United has confirmed that goalkeeper Martin Dúbravka suffered a knee injury in Saturday’s Premier League win at Southampton. The Slovakia international was hurt just before the hour mark at St. Mary’s but played on, keeping his ninth clean sheet of the season as Steve Bruce’s side gained three valuable points.
He was then assessed on Monday and has now been ruled out for at least the rest of this month. Dúbravka, 31, has not missed a Premier League match since making his debut against Manchester United in February 2018, but Karl Darlow has made five appearances in cup competitions this season.
Federico Fernandez has said that he used his new contract deal with the club recently as an excuse to hold a barbeque party at his house and that he has been regularly hosting such parties in order to ensure that bonding between the players improves.
Federico Fernandez said: “Last season was a very nice group. We used to have food quite often, There were 10 or 12 of us – all the Spanish speakers – and Kenedy as well. Kenedy is Brazilian but Spanish is quite similar. Rondon, Ayo, Joselu, Manqui, Fede, Miguel, Mo Diame because he used to play in Spain, Lejeune. I cooked Argentinian barbecues and I think it was a good thing for them as a group to get closer, to get to know each other. It’s something that’s quite common in my culture. It helps. When you sit down and you’re talking to the one next to you and you get closer and you start to care about them and their families. Obviously, it’s a different culture but we had a lot of fun and laughs and everyone has their story here in Newcastle. I think it’s important. For me, it’s quite usual. When I was in Argentina, every weekend we did the barbecues but here it’s a bit different, I try to bring some Argentines to do it here. I think everyone enjoyed staying together a bit, eating a good quality and steak and it’s a good moment that we share with the players and the staff.”
Federico Fernandez had joined Newcastle on a two-year deal back in 2018 after reuniting with his Napoli manager Rafael Benitez. His time at the North East club has been marred with injuries and inconsistent form as he has only managed to play 30 matches for the club so far in two years.
Danny Rose has revealed his frustration at failing to hit top gear for Newcastle United since arriving on loan from Tottenham Hotspur. Despite showing glimpses of what he can do, Rose knows he must step things up in order to turn the deal into a permanent one.
Danny Rose said “I feel great that I am getting a run of games. But I don’t feel I am playing to my potential just yet. It is more frustrating for myself but I am over the moon that I am given a chance. Individually it is frustrating because I expect a lot more from myself. I know the manager expects a lot more from me. I am confident in time that I will get there. It’s sheer class. (The support club gets) It was 5,000 at West Brom on a Tuesday night and then another 3,000 at Southampton. It’s just brilliant and one of the reasons why I wanted to play here. I hope they know that it doesn’t go unnoticed. It’s all positive. We have gone three games unbeaten and got two clean sheets in the Premier League. Winning is contagious so we just hope we can keep on going.”
Danny Rose moved up North to ensure more regular game time as he still has hopes of going to the Euro 2020 with England as the team’s left-back. All of his competition for the spot is getting regular game time in the likes of Ben Chilwell at Leicester, Luke Shaw at Manchester United and Ashley Young at Inter Milan.
Newcastle United supporters group Wor Flags will continue their hiatus of St James’ Park – despite calls for them to return for the FA Cup quarter-final. With the Magpies facing Man City in the last eight of the competition, the group were drawn into a debate on whether to return for a one-off special display for the game. The group have not put on a display since the Liverpool game at the end of last season – choosing to lock away their flags in protest at the ownership of Mike Ashley.
Wor Flags said “We’d like to thank those of you who have sent us hundreds of messages, both wanting us to come back for the Manchester City game and those hoping we continue to stay away. We’ve had long discussions within the group about where we currently stand, with a lot of emotion thrown in. We’d like to thank staff at the club who have asked us to come back also. We hold much respect for you and we look forward to working together again soon. We are so passionate about Newcastle United, and it is that passion that led us to our current stance that has seen us halt displays in the Gallowgate End. Some of us still go home & away every week, some of us believe the best way is to stop going. But there’s one thing we all agree on and that’s the stance around the owner, Mike Ashley. We believe we have become a football club striving to just survive, scraping by on the bare minimum. Not just on the field, but in the background too. We don’t believe he truly appreciates the positive impact a positive fan base could have on this football club, and if he does, he is yet to prove it. With that in mind, we won’t be doing a display against Man City. We don’t believe that one FA Cup Quarter Final in 14 years is enough to throw away what we believe in. We all hope that come April, we are walking down Wembley Way, some with tickets and some without, but our stance remains the same. Ashley Out.”
Many had hoped that the chance to reach the semi-final of the FA Cup for the first time since 2005 would have enticed the group back, and despite one member describing the volunteers as ‘indecisive’ as they have ever been as discussions were going on, Wor Flags have decided not to get the flags back out.